Eating while on the ride is important, so we came up with a recipe that is not only tasty, but also packed with the right level of nutrients and a practical answer to the squashed jam sandwich at the bottom of your bag.
The 3 key ingredients in this recipe for maximum fuelling are: sweet potato, borlotti beans and tortilla wraps.
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 fresh red chilli, finely chopped
- 0.5 thumb-size piece of fresh ginger root finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 400 grams tinned borlotti beans
- 250 grams coriander and lime rice
- 1 medium avocado chopped
- 100 grams mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 handful fresh coriander leaves
- 1 lime, juice only
- 6 tortilla wraps
- Peel the sweet potato and cut it into 2-inch pieces. Roast, without oil, in a preheated 180 C/ 350 F/ gas mark 4 oven for 45 minutes.
- Once cool to touch, slice into smaller pieces.
- Heat butter in a non-stick frying pan. Gently saute the red onion and sweet potato until the onion has softened and the potato has broken down. Approximately 6 minutes.
- Add the dried oregano and cumin seeds.
- Add the garlic, ginger and chillies.
- Stir in the drained, rinsed borlotti beans. Cook for 3 minutes to heat.
- Add the coriander and lime rice, and heat through for another 3 minutes.
- Lay out a warmed tortilla wrap and top with 1/6th of the borlotti bean/rice mixture.
- Top with chopped avocado, grated cheddar cheese and fresh coriander leaves.
- Squeeze over the juice of 1/6th of a lime.
- Fold the burrito and wrap in paper.